Joy's Recipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joy's Recipes

Welcome To Joy's Recipes a place to post all your favourite recipe's.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» GIGANTES PLAKI - GREEK STYLE BAKED BEANS
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 1:44 am by Joy

» LAMB CHOPS AND SAVOURY RICE - PRESSURE COOKER
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2024 1:25 am by Joy

» PICKLED FISH
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 10:43 am by Joy

» OVEN ROASTED SWEET POTATOES WITH A HONEYED TAHNI DRIZZLE
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2024 5:50 am by Joy

» 4 INGREDIENT STICKY RIBS
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 8:18 am by Joy

» EASY FISH PICCATA
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm by Joy

» SHEET PAN GNOCCHI WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2024 5:24 am by Joy

» EASY BABA GANOUSH
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 4:17 am by Joy

» ORANGE AND POMEGRANATE SALAD
FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 1:03 am by Joy

FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy

Joy

FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE Empty
PostSubject: FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE   FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 9:03 am

A popular 1960 recipe.

230g (250ml) butter
200g (250ml) white sugar
150g (250ml) currants
150g (250ml) sultanas
75g (125ml) mixed peel
75g (125ml) chopped dates
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
5ml bicarbonate of soda
200ml water
75g (125) chopped glace cherries
100g (250ml) chopped pecan nuts
275g (500ml) cake flour
5ml baking powder
1nl salt
2eggs
Brandy or sherry to sprinkle over

Melt the butter over a moderate heat in a fairly large heavy based saucepan.  Add the white sugar, currants, sultanas, mixed peel and dates.  Mix the bicarb with a little water and add to the fruit mixture, together with rest of the water. Heat slowly to boiling point and simmer for 20minutes.  Stir occasionally.  Leave the mixture to stand overnight.

Stir the cherries, pecan nuts and brandy into the fruit mixture the next day.  Sift the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and salt, stir into the mixture.  Bet the eggs well and stir them in last. Preheat oven to 160C  Place the over rack just under the middle position in the oven.

Grease a 23cm diameter saucepan or round cake pan, or a 20 x 20cm square pan.  Line it with greaseproof paper. Grease the paper.  Cut out two circles or squares exactly the size of the base of the tin used.  Place on the base of tin, grease it.

Place the pan on a double layer of newspaper or brown paper on a baking sheet.  Cut a strip, 2.5cm wider than the side of the pan, from double newspaper or brown paper.  Tie it around the outside of the tin and string, see pic.

Spoon the batter into the tin.  Make a slight hollow in the centre of the dough to ensure that the top of the cake will rise evenly.  Cover with a 'lid' of greased proof paper. Bake for 1 hour at 160C.  Turn down to 140C, bake for another hour.  Turn down temp to 120C and bake for another hour or until done.  A steady low heat is preferable to moderate heat as the outside of the cake often browns too quickly before the cake is cooked.  

Allow the cake to cool in the tin, outside the oven.  NEVER turn a fruitcake out immediately.  Always let it cool for a while in the tin.  It will come out of the tin easily.

Turn the cake out once cooled completely and remove the paper.  Prick the top of the cake with a tester and sprinkle brandy or sherry over.  Turn the cake over and repeat the procedure.  Wrap the cake in foil and store it in a cake tin.

FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE <a href=FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE Flop_p10" />
Back to top Go down
http://www.progesterone-info.com

FLOP PROOF FRUITCAKE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Joy's Recipes :: Welcome to Joy's Recipe :: Cakes - Biscuits - Breads-
Jump to: