Joy's Recipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joy's Recipes

Welcome To Joy's Recipes a place to post all your favourite recipe's.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» PICKLED FISH
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:43 am by Joy

» OVEN ROASTED SWEET POTATOES WITH A HONEYED TAHNI DRIZZLE
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2024 5:50 am by Joy

» 4 INGREDIENT STICKY RIBS
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 8:18 am by Joy

» EASY FISH PICCATA
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm by Joy

» SHEET PAN GNOCCHI WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2024 5:24 am by Joy

» EASY BABA GANOUSH
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 4:17 am by Joy

» ORANGE AND POMEGRANATE SALAD
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 1:03 am by Joy

» VEGETARIAN STUFFED PEPPERS WITH BASIL VINAIGRETTE
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 12:50 am by Joy

» EASY BLISTERED TOMATO BRUSCHETTA
PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2023 11:55 pm by Joy

PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joy

Joy

PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) Empty
PostSubject: PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão)   PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão) I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 1:20 pm

RECIPE SUPPLIED BY GUY HALLS

Which came first, the Prego rolls of the southern African colonies or the Portuguese Prego no Pão on the mainland of Portugal?...No one knows for sure..

Tomato Peri Peri Sauce
250 ml olive oil
3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
50g butter
a generous 1/2 tsp salt
large pinch of sugar
6 dried piri piri chillies (or to taste), finely chopped (or pulsed in a processor)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or pulsed in a processor)

Heat the oil in a smallish heavy-based pan. Add the tomatoes and butter and simmer for about 25 mins. Add the salt, sugar, piri piris and garlic and cook for another 5 – 10 mins. Remove from the heat and puree roughly with a hand-held blender or food processor. (If you like your sauce hotter, add a pinch or so of the Peri Peri spice mix that I listed earlier.)

Pour into a sterilised jar, if you’re not using immediately, and keep the surface covered with a layer of oil. Keep in the fridge and warm up or bring to room temperature to serve. This will keep for up to a month. Makes about 435ml.

Prego Rolls
2 x 120g rump or sirloin steaks, about 5mm thick (Fillet steak is the ultimate choice)
3 tbsp red wine
2 fresh bay leaves
2 garlic cloves, peeled and squashed a bit
30g butter
1 – 2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
2 Portuguese bread rolls
Peri Peri sauce, to serve

Marinate the steak in the wine, bay leaves and one of the garlic cloves for a couple of hours before you cook them. Heat the butter with the other garlic clove in a small pan until the butter turns a bit golden. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Shake the meat out of its marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper.

Heat the olive oil over high heat in a non-stick pan that will fit the steaks. When the pan is very hot, add the meat and fry very quickly, turning once. Remove to a plate, keep warm and add a dash of salt to the meat while it’s resting.

Meanwhile, put the halved rolls under the grill until very slightly crisp and warm. Pour the meat marinade into the pan and let it bubble up well. When it has thickened a bit and tastes good, dip the cut sides of the rolls in to soak up some sauce. Put the bottom half of the roll on a plate, blob some garlic butter on and then the steak. Pour on any juices from the steaks when they were resting and scatter with slat and a drizzle of Peri Peri sauce. Put the top on the rolls squash together and serve at once. Have a bottle of piri piri sauce on the table so everyone can do their own thing. Must be eaten warm. Serves 2. Double up ingredients for more..

Bom apetite

Back to top Go down
http://www.progesterone-info.com

PREGO STEAK ROLL (Prego no Pão)
Page 1 of 1